Microsoft just recently released Silverlight 2 Beta 2 today. They also released the Expression 2 Suite of tools and the Expression Blend 2.5 June 2008 Preview that works with Silverlight 2 Beta 2 release. These are truly exciting technologies that help us to create stunning RIA web applications.
As I had mentioned in my earlier post when Silverlight 2 Beta 1 was released, the setup process has been simplified a lot. Just download one file and it takes care of all. So if you are interested, go ahead and download the Microsoft Silverlight Tools Beta 2 for Visual Studio 2008. NOTE: However as mentioned at the top of the download page, it is important to manually uninstall KB949325 (installed as part of Silverlight Tools Beta 1) before installing Silverlight Tools Beta 2. The VS 2008 Tools for Silverlight download works with both VS 2008 and the recent VS 2008 SP1 Beta release.
The installation actually takes care of everything that is required and installs the following:
- Silverlight 2 Beta 2
- Silverlight 2 SDK Beta 2
- KB950630 for Visual Studio 2008 RTM or KB950632 for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta
- Silverlight Tools Beta 2 for Visual Studio 2008
Silverlight Tools Beta 2 for Visual Studio 2008 includes:
- Visual Basic and C# Project templates
- Intellisense and code generators for XAML
- Debugging of Silverlight applications
- Web reference support
- WCF Templates
- Team Build and command line build support
- Integration with Expression Blend
- Enhanced Setup with upgrade support
To get details about the new features and improvements check out the excellent blog post by Scott Guthrie.